Home / / Huawei CEO downplays US trade ban at Davos 2020

Huawei CEO downplays US trade ban at Davos 2020

Founder and CEO Ren Zhengfei is confident in Huawei’s future, during panel on "A Future Shaped by a Technology Arms Race"

Huawei CEO downplays US trade ban at Davos 2020
Huawei founder and CEO Ren Zhengfei

The Huawei founder and CEO believes his company has withstood the challenges posed by a US entity list ban last year, “emerging as a stronger organization and one committed to international cooperation.”

Ren Zhengfei's comments were made around a panel session held at the annual meeting of the World Economic Forum in Davos, which began on January 21 under the theme "Stakeholders for a Cohesive and Sustainable World".

Zhengfei said his company has "basically stood the challenges" posed by the current US administration, including being placed on an export black list and targeted on various fronts in recent months. “This year the US might further escalate their campaign against Huawei, but I feel the impact against Huawei would not be very significant,” he said. “I am confident we can survive future attacks.”

Zhengfei added that Huawei has spent billions to prepare a “plan B,” which has allowed the company to survive the US entity ban. “This year in 2020, since we already gained experience from last year and we got a stronger team, I think we are more confident that we can survive even further attacks,” he added.

Follow us to get the most comprehensive IT business news delivered fresh from our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and listen to our Weekly Podcast. Click here to sign up for our weekly newsletter on curated technology news in the Middle East and Worldwide.