Sultan says Telco is du-ing well
The UAE's second telco du is already on track to meet its targets, says CEO Osman Sultan.
Less than a month into the launch of its operations, the UAE’s second telco du is already on track to meet its targets, CEO Osman Sultan, told IT Weekly this week.
The chief executive said du already has “tens of thousands of people” using its services, with thousands being added “every day”.
At du’s formal launch on February 11, Sultan had warned that many customers would face delays of several weeks to use services, as they would have to wait for courier delivery of their SIM cards.
However, Sultan said rollout of the service had taken less time than anticipated as more people than expected were going to distribution points to sign up for the cards. The UAE operator opened extra capacity centres in Abu Dhabi and Dubai recently to cope with greater than expected demand at its retail outlets.
A few thousand cards still needed to be delivered by courier, a process that should take another three or four days, Sultan claimed.
Sultan declined to say how many of the half a million customers who booked a mobile number with du during its pre-booking campaign have gone on to confirm and pay for its services.
He said the operator would release precise statistics on usage before the end of April, alongside its financial results.
Analysts have said that they expect the UAE’s second operator to struggle to get customers from incumbent Etisalat, but they do anticipate that du will have a 9% share of the UAE market by year-end.
Last week Sultan announced that du is to start offering outsourcing services to regional telcos.