Western Digital expands NAS hard drives to 10TB
Helium-based WD Red and WD Red Pro hard drives caters for always-on NAS systems
Western Digital a global data storage technology and solutions leader recently announced the expansion of its WD Red and WD Red Pro NAS hard drives line-up with the introduction of 10TB capacity models for use in personal, home and small to medium business NAS systems.
Western Digital has shipped more than 15 million helium-based high capacity drives into multiple applications, including for NAS systems, to date and continues to provide even higher capacities.
The WD Red line of NAS hard drives allow customers to scale up or down to meet their changing NAS storage needs.
“In July 2012, we introduced the WD Red line to address the unique performance, compatibility and scalability challenges facing home and small business NAS customers,” said Brendan Collins, vice president, devices business unit at Western Digital. “Five years and over 16 million WD Red family hard drives later, we continue to advance the platform, bringing our innovative HelioSeal platform and other advanced technologies that allow customers to meet their evolving private cloud needs.”
Introduced in 2012, WD Red hard drives address the unique environment of NAS and the growing demand for affordable, reliable and compatible storage that reduces customer total cost of ownership. Designed with Western Digital’s HelioSeal helium-technology, the WD Red 10TB hard drive provides higher capacity and performance to meet the increasing storage needs of always-on, single-to-8-bay NAS systems. The helium-based design enables a 25 percent capacity increase from the WD Red 8TB NAS storage drive. With support for up to 16 bays in tower- and rack-based systems, the WD Red Pro 10TB hard drive delivers the same high performance, reliability and capacity to systems operating in up to 16 bay NAS systems.
WD Red / WD Red Pro 10TB features and specifications
- HelioSeal: Bringing Western Digital’s fourth generation, exclusive HelioSeal technology in 10TB capacity to the NAS storage market
- 3D Active Balance Plus, an enhanced balance control technology that improves overall drive performance and reliability
- Seamless integration with Western Digital’s My Cloud Pro Series NAS and My Cloud
- NASware 3.0, an enhanced version of WD’s original NASware technology, designed to improve reliability and system performance, reduce customer downtime and to simplify the integration process
- Optimised performance class – 5400 RPM class for SOHO environments, 7200 RPM class for up to 16 bay NAS systems
- The WD Red and WD Red Pro 10TB drives are finalizing compatibility testing with a number of leading NAS system providers