Synology makes debut into regional router market
Router RT1900ac promises high speed, intelligence, for network for home and office users
Synology has announced the Synology Router RT1900ac, a high-speed wireless router that is now available for customers in the UAE as well as in KSA and Jordan.
Synology Router RT1900ac is powered by Synology Router Manager (SRM) operating system, delivering professional-level networking tools at a consumer-friendly price point, the company says.
SRM expands the possibilities of the Synology Router RT1900ac wireless router, offering a more intelligent Wi-Fi connectivity, detailed network management and analysis, enhanced security, and more.
“The router is a critical element for any modern network, and yet it remains often complicated to use. By leveraging our expertise in network-attached storage and maximizing user experience, Synology aims at providing a pleasant, efficient and advanced solution to enthusiastic and professional users,” said James Chen, CEO of Synology Inc.
Features in SRM include:
- Smart Connect*: With Synology’s Smart Connect Wi-Fi technology, user devices are automatically connected to the most appropriate band – 2.4 GHz or 5 GHz – according to customizable criteria. This allows users to get the best wireless experience without worrying about technical details.
- Smart WAN*: For advanced users who need uninterrupted network connectivity, Smart WAN enables users designate a secondary WAN interface and set up automatic network failover or load balancing. Customisable routing policies also make it possible to route traffic through a specific interface according to the destination or source address.
- Application Layer QoS (Quality of Service): Enables the user to monitor and control bandwidth consumption according to not only devices, but also individual applications.
- Traffic reports*: Users can now generate reports detailing traffic and bandwidth usage over a specific period of time. This allows users to better understand their network requirements, check if certain devices or applications are consuming too much bandwidth, or investigate security concerns.
- Parental controls: Equipped with a database of inappropriate websites, the DNS based Web-filter and Parental Control let business owners or parents block thousands of sites and create network access schedules for connected devices with a few clicks. Along with traffic filtering, this now includes Google SafeSearch integration and the ability to add three customizable profiles to fine-tune and block access for different family members or employees.
- Selection of add-on software packages: Available on Synology’s Package Centre, users can download packages and transform Synology Router RT1900ac into a VPN server, RADIUS authentication server, DNS server, 24/7 download hub, and Media Server for their homes or offices. SRM also supports running Synology’s popular Cloud Station Suite, allowing users to sync files to computers with Cloud Station Drive or back up files from Windows, Mac, and Linux computers in real time with Cloud Station Backup.
The desktop-like interface provides an intuitive way for users to manage network and wireless settings. Plus, the DS router app for Android and iOS devices makes it possible to monitor and change settings on Synology Router RT1900ac from anywhere.
In addition to the standard four Gigabit Ethernet LAN ports, Synology Router RT1900ac is equipped with three adjustable long-range antennas and the latest 802.11ac wireless technology, allowing for combined transfer speeds up to 1900 Mbps. Synology Router RT1900ac also comes with a dual-core 1.0 GHz processor for smoother performance, even when multiple clients are connected. USB 3.0 port and SD (SDXC) slot can be used to attach external storage devices, allowing users to connect and share digital content with others, essentially transforming Synology Router RT1900ac into a NAS. Support for 3G/4G USB modems lets users in regions with less available wired network infrastructure create a fully-featured wireless hotspot.
*these features are only available on SRM 1.1 and will require a manual software upgrade