Apple and Samsung to battle in court again
Apple sues Samsung over copyright after winning $1bn in similar case in 2012.
Apple and Samsung will each get 25 hours in court on Monday to make their case in the latest copyright battle between the smartphone makers.
The two tech giants will once again appear before a judge as Apple sues Samsung over copyright of its smartphone features, according to online reports.
District Court Judge Lucy Koh in the California city of San Jose will preside during the hearing. Koh awarded $1bn to Apple in damages against Samsung in 2012. This amount has since been lowered to $929m and is under appeal.
In the previous court case, it was both the hardware design and utilities of the devices that were called into question. This time it is utilities only, including: automatically correcting mistyped words and sliding the home screen to unlock. Samsung is counter-suing these claims and arguing that Apple infringes on its patented technology for data transmission, imaging, audio, and video in iPhone, iPad, iPod and Macintosh computer models, it has been reported.
"The parties tried hard to accuse each other's latest and greatest products, but US patent litigation is slow, which is why this 2014 trial will be about 2012 and pre-2012 products," intellectual property analyst Florian Mueller said in a post at website fosspatents.com.
Both companies were encouraged by Judge Koh to talk, so were therefore engaged in mediation in an attempt to settle out of court, but talks failed.
"Both in the United States and globally, Apple and Samsung have established themselves as fierce competitors in the smartphone market and fierce adversaries in the courtroom," Koh said during rulings on injunctions, testimony and other matters ahead of trial.
According to reports, if Apple wins this case, they will be awarded a lot more money than previously because this case involves Samsung's better selling devices. Samsung devices targeted by Apple include more than a half dozen smartphones from the Galaxy line along with the Galaxy 2 tablet.
Apple wanted the smartphones and tablets in question from the previous trial to be to be banned after the ruling. This was rejected by Koh as she said that there was no evidence to prove that the demand for the phones and tablets were anything to do with the features that were infringing the copyright.