Home / / Teen girl treated for iPhone-related burns

Teen girl treated for iPhone-related burns

Apple handset catches fire while in US student’s back pocket

Teen girl treated for iPhone-related burns
Onlookers said the iPhone appeared burned when it fell from the girl’s pocket.

A 13-year-old girl has been treated for burns in Maine, US, after her iPhone caught fire while she sat in a classroom surrounded by fellow students, online media reported.

The iPhone was in the teen's back pocket as she sat in an early-morning lesson in Kennebunk Middle School. Onlookers heard a pop and saw the girl's trousers caught fire. She received help from classmates as she rolled around the ground, struggling to remove her trousers. Her iPhone fell out of her pocked and was observed to be burned.

The unnamed 13-year was then reportedly taken to hospital where she received treatment for second-degree burns.

"It was something that I don't think people had ever seen before," school principal, Jeff Rodman, told Seacoast Online. "I've never seen anything like that."

Smartphones of several brands have been involved in fires, often during charging.

EMS division chief Andrew Palmeri suggested that the handset's battery "shorted out" when the girl sat on it.

"People should obviously use caution when placing their phones in their back pockets so as not to crush them and cause an electrical short," he said.

Follow us to get the most comprehensive consumer tech news delivered fresh from our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and listen to our Weekly Podcast. Click here to sign up for our weekly newsletter on curated technology news in the Middle East and Worldwide.