Apple, HTC bury patent hatchet
Accord struck that will allow companies to ‘focus on innovation instead of litigation’
Apple Inc and HTC Corp announced on Saturday that they had reached an accord to end one of the smartphone industry's earliest battles in its still-raging patent wars, reported Reuters.
The agreement's terms were not disclosed in full by either company, but are thought to include a 10-year licensing term.
Apple brought an action against the Taiwanese Android-handset maker in 2010, its first against a manufacturer using Google's mobile OS.
In a joint statement, both Apple CEO Tim Cook and HTC chief executive Peter Chou expressed their pleasure with the settlement.
"We will continue to stay laser-focused on product innovation," Cook said, while Chou said his company was delighted to resolve the dispute so it could "focus on innovation instead of litigation".
Samsung Electronics and Google's Motorola Mobility have also become embroiled in Apple's legal campaign. The iPhone maker won a $1bn victory against the South Korean juggernaut in August.
Last month HTC projected a 14.5% drop in revenue in the fourth quarter from the third, worse than analysts' predictions and the second straight quarterly dip this year. The decline is attributed to Apple's previous legal successes against HTC. Late last year the US International Trade Commission ruled that HTC had infringed upon one of four Apple-held patents and some of its products were excluded from the US market. Despite devising a technical workaround, the Taiwanese company announced in May that many of its shipments were being delayed by US customs officials.