Home / / UK school pupils to get 'Microsoft GCSE'

UK school pupils to get 'Microsoft GCSE'

New ICT qualification developed with Microsoft and IBM to address lack of core programming skills

UK school pupils to get 'Microsoft GCSE'
The 'Microsoft' GCSE will give students more grounding in programming skills than existing certifications.

School pupils in the UK will be able to take a so-called ‘Microsoft GCSE' qualification from September, according to The Register.

Microsoft and IBM have provided consultation for a new ICT GCSE, a secondary level qualification taken by pupils from 14-16 years of age, to ensure that more actual programming skills are included in the course.

The UK government sort out consultation from the two companies after British industry and universities complained about a lack of proper IT skills among students.

The new curriculum, which has been successfully trialled in 200 schools, moves away from teaching just basic digital literacy, with a new practical programming module that tasks pupils with practical projects in gaming, web, mobile or traditional development. The project module will account for 60% of marks, with theory learning making up the other 40%.

Follow us to get the most comprehensive technology news in UAE delivered fresh from our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and listen to our Weekly Podcast. Click here to sign up for our weekly newsletter on curated technology news in the Middle East and Worldwide.

REGISTER NOW | Webinar Event | Security you can bank on – Safeguarding the Middle East’s financial sector

Presented in partnership with security and network specialist Cybereason, the second in the three part webinar series will bring together a panel of experts to discuss how banks and financial institutions are evolving their service offering while simultaneously staying one step ahead of the cyber criminals who seek to bring their operations crashing to the ground.

CHANNEL AWARD 2018