Sony slashes PlayStation 3 price
Cut comes less than a month after Nintendo trimmed 3DS prices
Sony is slashing the price of its PlayStation 3 gaming console in the UAE and worldwide by to try and drum up more business for the gaming device, which is now five years old.
- The PlayStation 160gb, which retailed at $354 in the UAE will now retail at $299, the 320gb will also drop $54 to retail at $354 with a game.
- The price cut comes less than a month after Nintendo trimmed its 3DS handheld gaming console prices to $195 from $326.
- The handheld 3DS launched with much fanfare, but rapidly lost sales momentum. However, according to Gamesindustry.biz 215,000 3DS have been sold since the price hack.
- The 3DS lets players view 3D games and videos without special glasses, but is competing against smartphones such as the iPhone in the gaming segment.
- Sony will be launching its hand-held PlayStation Vita in the US in early 2012.