Sony reveals second major data breach
24.6 million Sony Online Entertainment users may have had personal data stolen
Sony has revealed that it has experienced its second major security breach within a month and an additional 24.6 million Sony Online Entertainment computer game users may have had their personal details stolen by internet hackers between the 16th and 17th of April. Details may also have been stolen from an outdated database from 2007.
The company has said that the names, addresses, emails, birth dates, phone numbers and other information from PC games customers were stolen from its servers.
This news comes hot on the heels of the security breach that saw 77 million PlayStation Network users' data stolen by hackers.
Sony stated that 12,700 non-US credit or debit card numbers and expiration dates and approximately 10,700 direct debit records of customers in Austria, Germany, Netherlands and Spain may have been taken from the outdates database. Details that have been stolen from the direct debit customers include bank account numbers, customer names, account names and customer addresses.
The SOE network was shut down on Monday, joining the Qriocity and PlayStation Networks offline.
"We had previously believed that SOE customer data had not been obtained in the cyber attacks on the company, but on May 1 we concluded that SOE account information may have been stolen and we are notifying you as soon as possible," Sony said in a message to customers.
Sony has also been forced to suspend all its games on Facebook.
The SOE network will give players compensation for the downtime in the form of 30 days of additional time on their subscriptions, along with one day for each day the system is down.