Home / Oman government halts sale of Omantel

Oman government halts sale of Omantel

Decision to stop proposed sale of 25% stake was influenced by the current economic climate

The Oman Ministry of Finance has halted the proposed sale of a 25% stake in Omantel due to the current economic environment affecting global capital markets.

The sale process, which was launched in July this year, was aimed at finding a strategic partner to strengthen the market position of the only fixed line service provider presently operating in the country, with 270,000 subscribers registered according to 2007 figures.

It also has nearly 1.5 million mobile subscribers, estimated to represent 60% of the market share in 2007.

In a statement issued to the press, H.E. Darwish Ismail Al Balushi, secretary general of the Ministry of Finance, said that the “ … the unprecedented market volatility and economic conditions that we are seeing globally has led to the Government taking the prudent decision to stop the sale process."

In 2005, Omantel went through a partial privatization with a 30% stake publicly listed on the Muscat Securities Market and the Oman government retaining the remaining 70%.

Follow us to get the most comprehensive technology news in UAE delivered fresh from our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and listen to our Weekly Podcast. Click here to sign up for our weekly newsletter on curated technology news in the Middle East and Worldwide.

REGISTER NOW | Webinar Event | Security you can bank on – Safeguarding the Middle East’s financial sector

Presented in partnership with security and network specialist Cybereason, the second in the three part webinar series will bring together a panel of experts to discuss how banks and financial institutions are evolving their service offering while simultaneously staying one step ahead of the cyber criminals who seek to bring their operations crashing to the ground.

CHANNEL AWARD 2018