Home / Roshan celebrates 1 millionth subscriber

Roshan celebrates 1 millionth subscriber

“We are very excited and proud about reaching the million subscribers milestone, as this is evidence of the preference the Afghan people have for Roshan” - Roshan CEO, Karim Khoja.

Afghanistan’s leading telecommunications operator Roshan has reached its end of year target of 1 million subscribers on its cellular network, gaining around 200,000 subscribers since 1Q06 and bringing its market share to 70%. The announcement comes amidst increased competition within the Afghani mobile market after Etisalat became the country’s fourth operator - joining Areeba and AWCC – earlier this year.

“We are very excited and proud about reaching the million subscribers milestone, as this is evidence of the preference the Afghan people have for Roshan” said Roshan CEO, Karim Khoja

Despite turbulent conditions in the region Roshan displaced original incumbent AWCC as Afghanistan’s leading telephone service provider in its first year of operation, after successfully bidding against Investcom for the country’s second licence in 2003. Investcom’s US$40.1 million bid for Afghanistan’s third licence, in conjunction with UAE company Alokozay Group, was a success and the two companies launched their Areeba brand during the first half of 2006; Investcom owning 60% of the consortium with Alokozay owning the remaining 40%.

Khoja believes Roshan’s expansion reflects its investment in the region. The enterprise is Afghanistan’s largest tax contributor and its decision to implement a franchise based distribution model has, according to Khoja, acted as a catalyst for the reconstruction activities of the country. “We are the largest formal employer. When I say we have 170 stores, we've probably got about 1,000 people now selling our goods.”

Roshan has also announced that it has invested over US$45 million in Siemens equipment and infrastructure to operate its network, with almost 50% of its network infrastructure now utilising Siemens technology. Dietmar Appeltauer, president of Siemens Communication Networks said his company is “committed” to aid the reconstruction of Afghanistan and that Siemens’ relationship with Roshan has allowed it to participate in one of the fastest growing sectors of the country.

Follow us to get the most comprehensive technology news in UAE delivered fresh from our social media accounts on Facebook, Twitter, Youtube, and listen to our Weekly Podcast. Click here to sign up for our weekly newsletter on curated technology news in the Middle East and Worldwide.

REGISTER NOW | Webinar Event | Security you can bank on – Safeguarding the Middle East’s financial sector

Presented in partnership with security and network specialist Cybereason, the second in the three part webinar series will bring together a panel of experts to discuss how banks and financial institutions are evolving their service offering while simultaneously staying one step ahead of the cyber criminals who seek to bring their operations crashing to the ground.