Alcatel-Lucent ME jobs safe

Telco equipment maker Alcatel-Lucent is unlikely to cut staff in the Middle East, one of the company's senior regional executives claimed this week.

  • E-Mail
By  Administrator Published  February 8, 2007

The comments followed the announcement of "cost-cutting measures" by CEO Patricia Russo last month after Alcatel-Lucent reported disappointing financial results. Russo's warning of further cuts comes on top of the 9,000 jobs - 10% of the company's global workforce - that are already set to go following the global merger's completion.

Mazen Hamadallah, general manager and country senior officer for the UAE, Oman, Qatar and Kuwait, claimed any cuts would have a "very minimal" impact on the Middle East.

"Actually to the contrary we are increasing our resources in the Middle East. We see it as a growing market and we intend to strengthen our resources further," Hamadallah told IT Weekly.

He did not disclose details of how resources would be added, but claimed the company wants to increase its levels of technical expertise regionally.

Some staff would be "transferred" as the result of offices being merged, but job cuts were not anticipated, he added.

Russo had blamed poor 2006 fiscal fourth quarter results on "customer uncertainty", however Hamadallah said the firm had not seen this affect its customers in the Middle East.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code