'du' not over-due as launch announced

The new telecoms operator announces products and says it will meet the February deadline to launch.

  • E-Mail
By  Andrew White Published  February 6, 2007

The UAE's second telecommunications operator, du, today unveiled its introductory range of products, including specific offers for consumers and businesses. Mobile services will launch on 11 February, when those who have registered will be able to pay online to confirm their number.

The date is just within the February 12 deadline set for du by the local Telecommunication Regulatory Authority (TRA). The company could have faced a fine for failing to launch before then. However, this date is still months after the November 2006 launch date originally set by du CEO Osman Sultan.

A comprehensive advertising campaign providing information on products, services and tariff plans will be rolled out on the 8 February. The company's four core products are Monthly Plan (post-paid) and Pay As You Go (pre-paid) for their personal customers, and du Business Pay As You Go Plus (pre-paid) and du Business Mobile Connect (post-paid) for small, medium and large enterprises.

Mobile reception will cover 85% of the populated areas of the UAE. The remaining 15%, comprising remote villages and desert, will be covered by Etisalat's national roaming facility, if available. Initially, du will offer 171 international roaming destinations.

"du is coming to life, and the launch of our mobile services starting from 11 February marks a very exciting start for us," said Osman Sultan. "We look forward to getting closer to our customers and adding quality to their lives through our easy to use and innovative range of products and services."

"Half a million customers opted to book a du mobile number with the 055 prefix during the Number Booking campaign, and we are confident our tariff plans, products and services will meet with their expectations," continued Sultan. "However, I would like to emphasise that all those who confirm their numbers will not receive the SIM card the same day due to the unprecedented logistical operation facing the courier services. The entire exercise will take a few weeks. However, the du network can be accessed as soon as the SIM cards are received."

The new telco is 40% owned by the UAE Federal Government, 20% by Mubadala Development Company, 20% by TECOM Investments and 20% by public shareholders. It is listed on the Dubai Financial Market (DFM). du currently provides fixed line, internet and pay TV services in some of the free zones of Dubai. The announcement of mobile services follows its purchase of TECOM Investments' telecom assets.

4452 days ago
asad

i am writing this letter to tell u how good mannered are the sales representive .i was happy with the way the du sales person was helping me and teling me abt the du offers we will get .who booked before will get an advantage

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code