Huawei scrapping laptop launch due to US blacklisting

Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei’s consumer business, says that’s a result of being on the U.S. Entity List, which restricts American firms selling products to the Chinese company.

Tags: ChinaHuawei Consumer (consumer.huawei.com/ae-en/)Huawei Technologies CompanyPoliticsUSA
  • E-Mail
Huawei scrapping laptop launch due to US blacklisting
By  Kevin Sebastian Published  June 12, 2019

In a report from CNBC,  Huawei has scrapped the launch of new laptop as a result of being effectively barred from doing business with American suppliers, which Huawei heavily relies on.

Richard Yu, CEO of Huawei’s consumer division, told CNBC that the firm had formally planned to launch a new product in its Matebook series without giving a date, but it had been indefinitely put on hold.

He said that being on the U.S. Entity List, which restricts American companies from selling products to Huawei, had caused the cancellation.

“We cannot supply the PC,” Yu said, adding that the situation is “unfortunate.”

Chipmakers, Intel and Qualcomm were no longer allowed to do business with Huawei as a result of the blacklist that occured last month. Huawei's laptop architecture relies on intel chips and it appears the new matebook is a casualty. 

Huawei traditionally have been a smartphone maker but their matebooks have had a reputation of generally being stellar devices themselves. The blacklist now directly has put a wedge in the chinese tech giant's plans to become a PC seller.

On being asked if the laptop could be launched at a later date, Yu said it “depends on how long the Entity List will be there.” He acknowledged that, if Huawei is on the blacklist for a long time, the laptop will not be able to be launched.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code