A10 Networks announces first cloud-native ADC platform
A10 Lightning ADS designed to boost security and delivery of applications across public, private and hybrid clouds
A10 Networks, a secure application services company, has announced its A10 Lightning Application Delivery Service (ADS), a cloud-native software-as-a-service (SaaS) platform for application delivery, security, and analytics designed to simplify application architectures across public, private and hybrid clouds.
Lightning ADS unifies the management of application traffic management, security and analytics across multiple clouds with SaaS management, the company says. This is A10’s first launch that comes as a result of the company’s acquisition of Appcito in July, and the first product from a portfolio of new and forthcoming secure application services.
Mohammed Al-Moneer regional director, Middle East & North Africa at A10 Networks says, “A10 as a company is becoming more agile and we are helping our customers become agile at the same time. The need for agility is fundamentally driving three key transformations in the industry - movement to public and private cloud, DevOps processes to deploy applications and new app architectures based on microservices and containers. This is how companies like Netflix, Uber and Airbnb are deploying their applications today. As these IT organisations are embracing application-centric operations, they are looking for ways to establish environments that utilize their traditional data centres while taking advantage of the cloud’s inherent agility and speed.”
“That’s the idea behind our new platform A10 Lightning ADS, which represents a strategic step by A10 to help customers easily and securely deploy and manage their applications from on-premise to cloud-based environments. This offering is purpose built for cloud-based applications and not only supports traditional web applications but also modern microservices and container based applications.”
The introduction of Lightning ADS positions A10 Networks to service this growing demand for ADC functionality in the cloud, increasing agility and reducing costs for customers who use public, private and hybrid clouds. A10 Lightning ADS enables a holistic “ADC-as-a-service” that increases operational agility, offloads IT administrators from cumbersome tasks and reduces risk. It represents a versatile, multi-cloud ADC solution that not only serves traditional web applications but is built for containers and microservices-based architectures.
A10 Lightning’s multi-cloud management capabilities allow flexible application deployment across multiple clouds with the ability to seamlessly maintain and manage diverse workloads. A10 Lightning ADS will run natively on public cloud environments such as Amazon Web Services - an A10 partner – and on Microsoft Azure and Google Cloud Platform.
“The launch of A10 Lightning represents a strategic step in the company’s vision to help customers with their requirements of secure application services for private, public and hybrid-cloud based environments,” said Kamal Anand, general manager, cloud division, A10 Networks. “Organisations now have a simple, cloud-native and cost-effective way to add traffic management and security to their modern applications, while gaining application visibility and insights.”
The secure application services platform is comprised of the following integrated components:
- A10 lightning controller: A SaaS-based controller provides central management, policy configuration, and a big data repository and analytics engine
- Lightning ADC: Lightweight and full proxy software that executes Layer 4-7 application load balancing and security policies that are managed across diverse clouds by the Lightning Controller
- Lightning portal: Self-service, role-based portal for managing the infrastructure and associated policies on a per-application basis
- Lightning APIs: All capabilities are available via the RESTful interface; orchestration and configuration APIs may be used to integrate with deployment automation tools like Chef, Ansible and Jenkins
A10 Lightning ADS provides these primary benefits for customers:
- Cloud-native: Container and microservices-based design boosts productivity and offers ease of use through integration with DevOps processes and the ability to optimize delivery of applications and services on public, private and hybrid clouds
- Per-application analytics: Delivers a superior user experience by enabling application owners to proactively identify issues, streamline troubleshooting and effectively conduct capacity planning
- Multi-cloud: Allows heterogeneous workloads to be deployed and managed across multiple public, private and hybrid clouds.