Samsung Gulf: stop using your Galaxy Note7

Reports of fires continue on replacement devices despite earlier assurances

Tags: Samsung Electronics CompanySouth Korea
  • E-Mail
Samsung Gulf: stop using your Galaxy Note7 Initial rave reviews of the Note 7 have given way to seemingly endless tales of woe.
By  David Ndichu Published  October 11, 2016

Samsung Electronics has confirmed it has stopped selling its Galaxy Note7 smartphones, Reuters reports.

The company also urged owners to stop using the flagship phablet while it investigates reports of fires.

Samsung Gulf Electronics said in a statement: "We are working with relevant regulatory bodies to investigate the recently reported cases involving the Galaxy Note7. Because consumers' safety remains our top priority, Samsung will ask all carrier and retail partners globally to stop sales and exchanges of the Galaxy Note7 while the investigation is taking place.

"We remain committed to working diligently with appropriate regulatory authorities to take all necessary steps to resolve the situation. Consumers with either an original Galaxy Note7 or replacement Galaxy Note7 device should power down and stop using the device and take advantage of the remedies available."

ITP.net had reported unconfirmed news from Korea that the tech giant intended to stop production of the Note7 as safety concerns spread. This was after replacement devices delivered to customers after the initial recall reportedly caught fire.   

Top U.S. carriers on Monday suspended sales or exchanges of the Note 7s, while aviation authorities banned passengers using the phones, after smoke from a replacement device forced the evacuation of a passenger plane in the United States last week, Reuters added.

The world's top smartphone maker said it had asked all global carriers to stop sales of the Note7s and the exchange of original devices for replacements, while it worked with regulators to investigate the problem.

The future of the Note7 now is in limbo with analysts predicting Samsung may write-off the gadget altogether after pulling the phone from the market for the second time in two months.

Whatever the case, this will be a severe blow to not only Samsung's bottom line but its reputation as a reputable premium device maker. Many speculate Samsung may have had cut corners on quality controls in a now-misguided attempt to put the Note7 in customers' hands before Apple's iPhone 7 series hit the market.   

Shares in Samsung meanwhile continue to tank, trading down seven percent in Seoul, as Apple shares hit their highest in 10 months on Monday on expectations the iPhone maker would benefit from Samsung woes.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code