N Korea blames Washington for DDoS strike

Row over Sony cyber-attack gets personal as Kim’s govt calls Obama ‘monkey’

Tags: Cyber crimeNorth KoreaSony Corporation
  • E-Mail
N Korea blames Washington for DDoS strike Kim’s government has repeatedly denied involvement in the attack on Sony Pictures. (Getty Images)
By  Stephen McBride Published  December 28, 2014

North Korea's government blamed the US for the recent disabling of its Internet services and called President Obama a "monkey" in the latest development of the ongoing feud over November's cyber-attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment, Reuters reported.

North Korea's Internet was taken offline by an apparent DDoS attack days after Washington pledged action against Kim Jong Un's government for its alleged role in crippling Sony Pictures' network and stealing several terabytes of the company's data.

Pyongyang continues to protest its innocence, insisting that "righteous" supporters of the hermit nation had taken the action following continued protests from Kim's government about "The Interview", a Sony Pictures comedy portraying the CIA-sponsored assassination of Kim.

Sony, having initially cancelled the movie's debut, reversed the decision following public criticism from the Obama administration.

The National Defense Commission, the country's ruling body, chaired by Kim himself, blamed Obama's influence for Sony's reversal.

"Obama always goes reckless in words and deeds like a monkey in a tropical forest," said an unnamed commission spokesperson, according to the state-controlled KCNA news agency.

The North's Internet outage reportedly lasted nearly nine hours, but was mostly restored by Tuesday. However, China's state-run Xinhua news agency reported further disabling of North Korean Internet and 3G networks on Saturday evening.

As North Korea's Internet infrastructure is relatively limited and uses a single national point of access, cyber security analysts last week said it would be relatively easy to disable nationwide services with a single-botnet DDoS attack, suggesting that a non-state actor could have crippled services. But Pyongyang insists the US is responsible and has dismissed Washington's denials of involvement.

"The United States, with its large physical size and oblivious to the shame of playing hide and seek, as children with runny noses would, has begun disrupting the Internet operations of the main media outlets of our republic," the commission is quoted as saying.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code