US could name N Korea as Sony cyber-attack culprit: report

News comes as film studio pulls Kim assassination movie from theatres for security reasons

Tags: Cyber crimeJapanNorth KoreaSony CorporationUSA
  • E-Mail
US could name N Korea as Sony cyber-attack culprit: report Kim Jong Un’s government could be named as the responsible party in the cyber-attack at Sony Pictures. (Getty Images)
By  Stephen McBride Published  December 18, 2014

US officials investigating the cyber-attack on Sony Pictures Entertainment are satisfied that the North Korean government was responsible, Reuters reported, citing government sources.

The news comes a day after Sony decided to cancel the launch of "The Interview", a comedy depicting the assassination of North Korean leader Kim Jong Un, after a number of US theatre chains announced they would not be showing the movie because of security concerns.

The movie, condemned by North Korean in a letter to the UN in July, has been widely touted as the reason behind the cyber-attack, which left Sony's network inoperable for more than a week and resulted in the theft of upcoming movies, early drafts of scripts and employee data.

The FBI, which heads the investigation, has previously declined to point fingers at any specific culprit and has said there was no evidence that North Korea was directly involved, but Reuters said one of its sources used the phrase "state-sponsored" to describe the breach and many others named the Pyongyang administration.

According to the sources, the Obama administration is currently debating whether to share the investigators' findings with the public.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code