Etisalat suspends operations in India

Indian operation will be closed down to cut costs

Tags: Etisalat International - UAEIndia
  • E-Mail
Etisalat suspends operations in India Etisalat said it will wait for greater clarity from Indian regulators before considering its long term future in the country.
By  Roger Field Published  February 23, 2012

Etisalat has decided to close down its Indian operation, Etisalat DB, to reduce costs. The move follows a decision by India's Supreme Court earlier this month to suspend all 122 of the 2G licences that were awarded in 2008, which included Etisalat DB.

"The decision has been taken in order to protect the interests of all stakeholders and to avoid incurring further costs at this time of rapid change and continued uncertainty in the Indian telecommunication sector," Etisalat said in a statement posted on the Abu Dhabi bourse website.

"Etisalat will make a decision on its future participation in the Indian market when there is clarity on the auction process, telecom policy and greater legal regulatory certainty and stability," the statement added.

On 9th February, Etisalat said that the decision by India's Federal Court to revoke all 122 of the 2G licences awarded in 2008 led to a total "impairment charge" of AED3.044 billion ($828.7m) before Federal Royalty.

Bahrain's Batelco Group said that it had sold its 42.7% stake in its Indian operation, STel, earlier in the month.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code