Libya's telco sector suffers amid NATO airstrikes

Attacks on state infrastructure caused $1.22 billion damage

Tags: LibyaLibyan Telecommunications and Technology (www.ltt.ly/en/)
  • E-Mail
Libya's telco sector suffers amid NATO airstrikes Nato bombing has damaged telecoms infrastructure in Libya, the LTT claims. (Getty Images)
By  Roger Field Published  May 24, 2011

Libya's telecoms sector has lost about 1.5 billion dinars ($1.22 billion) in terms of infrastructure damage and lost earnings due to Nato airstrikes, according to African news agency, Pana.

Mohamed Ben Ayad, president of the board of directors of Libyan Telecommunications and Technology (LTT) and GSM operator, Libyana, said the NATO raids had caused enormous damage to basic infrastructures in the telecoms sector and described the deliberate targeting of telco infrastructure as a "crime against humanity".

Ayad said that the sites targeted by the NATO raids had no military purpose and added that the Libyan General Office of Communications would inform the International Telecommunication Union of the damage to the county's telecoms sector.

LTT is chaired by Muhammad Al-Ghaddafi, the eldest son of the Libyan ruler.

The raids had damaged key telecoms infrastructure in areas including Al-Hisha, Al-Wachka and Al-Qaddahiya, Brega, Al-Ghardabia, Al-H'nioua, Nouflia, and the area west of Sirte.

The news followed reports that thousands of telecoms workers had been deployed as human shields to protect telecoms infrastructure from the raids.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code

Competitions