Mobily to launch LTE services by Q3 2011

CEO confirms plan to launch LTE services and upgrade its WiMAX operations

Tags: 4GLTEMobily (www.mobily.com.sa)Saudi Arabia
  • E-Mail
Mobily to launch LTE services by Q3 2011 Khalid Al Kaf said that mobile broadband is at the centre of Mobily's growth plan.
By  Roger Field Published  April 6, 2011

Saudi Arabian telco Mobily plans to launch LTE services by the third quarter of 2011, according to Khalid Al Kaf, the company's CEO.

After conducting LTE trials last year, Mobily said it had awarded Huawei and Samsung two contracts each, for the deployment of a nationwide LTE network and the upgrade of its WiMAX sites from Wave 1 to Wave 2 technology.

"We will be building the largest LTE network in the region. We expect to launch LTE by the third quarter of this year and we expect to create a trend for the technology as we did with HSPA+," Al Kaf told CommsMEA.

The development is part of Mobily's strategy to "position itself around data" in the next five years, according to Al Kaf.

In 2010, Mobily awarded vendors with a $213 million contract for a Kingdom-wide capacity expansion of its mobile broadband networks.

The company also more than doubled its "high volume" mobile broadband subscriber base to 2.3 million customers in 2010, and generated some 18% of its revenues from data services.


 

2402 days ago
Yasir Hamour

Can I know LTE will be deployed in which Frequency Band?
we can see most of MiddleEast operators were following Europe standard for 2G, and 3G . is it will be the case for 4G as Europe plan for 800MHz and 2600MHz or Mobily will deploy LTE700 MHz following USA deployments.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code