Batelco to stop dial-up internet early in 2010

Bahrain telco to phase out service on Jan 24 as broadband market is seen growing 7%

Tags: BahrainBatelco Middle East CompanyNext Generation Network
  • E-Mail
Batelco to stop dial-up internet early in 2010 The dial-up modem will be a thing of the past for Batelco customers from early next year.
By  Andy Sambidge Published  November 9, 2009

Bahrain telco Batelco has announced that it will stop its dial-up internet service early in 2010.

The company, which has recently completed the migration of its entire fixed network to a Next Generation Network (NGN) combining both data and voice services in one platform, said dial-up services would end on 24th January.

Less than 5% of customers are still using dial-up services as opposed to broadband and the figures is reducing each month, Batelco Group general manager Ahmed Al Janahi said.

Last month, Business Monitor International said the Gulf state's fixed broadband sector saw growth of over 37% in 2008 and had a penetration rate of 8.8% at the end of the year.

Within Bahrain's broadband market, BMI is predicting an average annual growth rate of over 7% over the next five years.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code