Another explosion at Iraqi mobile operator

Employee killed in latest bomb attack on Asiacell premises

Tags: AsiaCell TelecommununicationsIraqPoliticsSubscription
  • E-Mail
Another explosion at Iraqi mobile operator Asiacell products on sale in Baghdad last year. (Getty Images)
By  George Bevir Published  November 8, 2009

Iraqi mobile operator Asiacell has issued another appeal to the government to protect it from bomb attacks after an explosion at the firm's premises resulted in the death of one of its employees.

Asiacell, the second largest mobile operator in Iraq with just over 7 million users, says it is the victim of "cowardly terrorist attacks against the company".

CEO Dr. Diar Ahmed expressed his sorrow at the death of Asiacell employee Abdul Khaliq Mohammed Jasim who was killed in the blast at the firm's premises in Mosul, the latest in a string of attacks against the operator.

Asiacell was targeted in a series of explosions last year and the December attacks were followed by another wave of explosions in August, when three of the operator's cell towers in Baghdad were blown up and explosive canisters were detonated next to the firm's sales centre, resulting in injuries to three of Asiacell's security guards.

Ahmed said that further attacks might take place, and he appealed to the government to "limit these impediments that limit our ability to contribute to the economic development of the country".

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code