Apple App Store takes $30 million in 30 days

Online store for iPhone and iPod Touch applications selling $1 million per day since launch

  • E-Mail
By  Mark Sutton Published  August 11, 2008

Apple has sold over $30 million worth of applications through its iPhone App Store, since the start of July.

Over 60 million applications for the iPhone and iPod Touch have been downloaded from the new App Store according to Steve Jobs, Apple CEO.

Although the majority of applications are free, Apple has been taking an average of $1 million per day through the App Store, totalling over $30 million in the month since it launched, Jobs told the Wall Street Journal.

Apple only takes 30% of the value of sales through the site, with the other 70% going to the developer of the application. While the 30% is mostly taken up by the expense of running the online store, Jobs sees the volumes as a significant.

"This thing's going to crest a half a billion, soon. Who knows, maybe it will be a $1 billion marketplace at some point in time. I've never seen anything like this in my career for software" he said.

"Phone differentiation used to be about radios and antennas and things like that. We think, going forward, the phone of the future will be differentiated by software," Jobs added.

The online App Store, which was launched alongside the new 3G iPhone handset, was created to give software developers an easy route to get their applications into the hands of end users, and to also showcase the capabilities of the iPhone and iPod Touch.

The store has not been without controversy, after an engineer discovered a so-called ‘kill switch' which would allow Apple to automatically remove applications from handsets causing some users to question who decides what you can and can't install on the device. Apple defended the function, saying it has been included to allow Apple to remove any malware that may accidentally be distributed to the device.

The store also removed an application, called I Am Rich, which did nothing more than display an image of a jewel on the screen, but was sold to an end user for $1,000.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code