Batelco begins phase 3 of NGN migration

Bahraini telco operator says project should be complete by August 2008.

  • E-Mail
By  Michele Howe Published  October 21, 2007

Bahraini telco operator Batelco has announced it is in the third and final phase of its Next Generation Network (NGN) project, which will enable it to offer broadband services across the Kingdom.

The rollout of the third phase of the network is on target and slated for completion by August 2008, the company said.

In its final phase of the implementation, Batelco will migrate a further four areas - Al Jazaer, Al Wadi, Awali and Sakhir - to the new NGN services, the company said.

NGN services facilitate triple play (voice, data and video) on a single line which tradionally only carried voice telephone services.

By the end of 2007, 65,000 of the operator's approximately 203,000 fixed lines throughout the Kingdom will have been connected to the NGN network, the company said.

Batelco corporate affairs general manager Ahmed Al Janahi stressed, however, that the migration to NGN would not disrupt normal service.

"The migration process takes only about an hour and is always carried out in the early hours of the morning, beginning at 4.30 am so as not to cause any inconvenience for customers," he stated.

The telco operator has committed $16 million to the third phase bringing its total investment to the project so far to $57 million.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code