Bahrain to decide on third mobile operator

Bahrain's telecoms regulator has said it will announce whether it plans to license a third mobile operator in the Kingdom in December.

  • E-Mail
By  Michele Howe Published  October 4, 2007

Bahrain's telecoms regulator has said it will announce whether it plans to license a third mobile operator in the Kingdom in December.

The Telecommunications Regulatory Authority (TRA) of Bahrain has previously said it was studying the possibility of allowing a third mobile operator to operate in the Kingdom, but in May said it was putting any decision on the granting of additional mobile licences on hold until it had completed its strategic review.

The results of this review will be ready in December.

The review covers a number of areas in mobile service provision, including the possibility of allowing Mobile Virtual Network Operators in the Kingdom.

Bahrain has two mobile operators at present - incumbent Batelco, which has the lion's share of the market, and Zain Bahrain, formerly MTC Vodafone, which has roughly a third of the Kingdom's mobile subscribers.

Mena Telecom, a subsidiary of Kuwait Finance House Bahrain, recently said it would be interested in bidding for the third cellular licence should it be offered.

"We are definitely keen to apply for the third mobile licence in Bahrain as part of our strategy to enhance the business base of the company," Abdulhakeem Al Khayyat, chairman of Mena Telecom told the Bahrain Tribune.

Mena Telecom won a licence to offer national fixed wireless services in Bahrain in 2006.

Bahrain's mobile penetration rate is between 110% and 115%, according to Delta Partners.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code