Manchester hotel markets to Mid East visitors

The Radisson Edwardian Manchester in the UK is gearing up to serve the Middle East market after Etihad recently opened up its route from Abu Dhabi to Manchester.

  • E-Mail
By  Laura Barnes Published  August 22, 2006

The Radisson Edwardian Manchester in the UK is gearing up to serve the Middle East market after Etihad recently opened up its route from Abu Dhabi to Manchester. The hotel, which stands on the grounds of the Free Trade Hall — which played host to celebrities and politicians like Ella Fitzgerald, Bob Dylan and Winston Churchill — was opened in 2003, with original artwork and some of the structure still in place from when the Hall was used in the 1800 and 1900s. Although the hotel does not presently see a large percentage of visitors from the Middle East, it is hoping to capitalise on the new market and predicts a large number of business travellers coming to the North West city. “Manchester is an up and coming city; HSBC in the UK is moving its headquarters here in the next few months and a lot of other companies are following suit. We predict there will be a lot of investment and banking opportunities coming to Manchester by the end of the year,” Kevin Healy, director of sales, Radisson Edwardian Manchester, told Hotelier Middle East. Located next to the G-Mex Centre and Manchester’s International Convention Centre, the hotel currently serves a large number of business travellers, which accounts for 80% of business; the remaining 20% being the leisure market. However, during the weekend this trend is reversed. With an average occupancy rate of 83% — which is high for the city — the majority of the hotel’s guests come from the local corporate market, as well as feeder markets from Australia and the US. “The Australians and Americans come here as they are familiar with the brand, and we also have sales offices in both Sydney and New York,” said Healy. “However, Radisson Edwardian is currently setting up an office in Dubai that will run parallel with Radisson SAS [operations there], so a lot of focus will be placed on attracting the Middle East market,” he added. Although the hotel’s main selling point is its close proximity to the convention centre, it also boasts 20 conference rooms, ranging from syndicate rooms to a ballroom capable of accommodating 300 guests for dinner. The hotel also has a leisure spa, and its interiors showcase artefacts from Thailand, paintings from the infamous ‘Peterloo Massacre’ and statues that were originally standing in the Free Trade Hall. “The history of the building is very important for some people, but it also has a very modern feel to it as well; ideal for Middle East guests who want the best of what Manchester has to offer,” added Healy.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code