Extra virtualisation capabilities for VSE

  • E-Mail
By  Published  September 1, 2006

Enterprise customers wanting to automatically adjust their company resources within a pooled server environmentcan now benefit from added capabilities to the HP Virtual Server Environment (VSE) Integrity servers.

HP’s new Virtual Server Environment Reference Architecture for Oracle Real Application Clusters for HP-UX11i has the ability to dynamically scale the integrity server infrastructure to adapt to fluctuating Oracle database workloads.

An example of this could be if more server capacity is needed for financial applications at the end of the month. In this situation the VSE product would automatically allocate additional server capacity to this application.

“No other vendor can offer the level of virtualisation capability for the Oracle customer that HP can,” said Yasser Ragaei, business manager of enterprise servers for HP in the Middle East.

“HP leads the way in mission critical server virtualisation with HP-UX 11i, now enabling customers to automatically flex, add and move server resources in support of constantly changing business demands,” he added.

A recent Gartner report estimated that on average the capacity utilisation of servers in a typical company is no more than 20% while the remaining 80% is wasted.

HP has also further integrated HP Serviceguard for HP-UX 11i with HP Integrity Virtual Machines for customers that are concerned about the availability of their mission critical Unix environments when they consolidate using virtualisation.

The firm claimed that customer demand for virtualisation was rapidly growing and reveals that it experienced a 70% growth in shipment for key virtualisation technologies during the past year.

This follows the IDC assessment that spending on virtualisation will continue at significant growth rates and is expected to reach US$15billion by 2009.

In a recent interview with Ryan D’Souza, product manager, industry standard servers, HP Middle East told IT Weekly that for the most part the Middle East is still toying around with the idea of virtualisation. “There are a lot of customers who are still in that evaluation phase,” he said.

The HP VSE has been available since 2003 and is part of HP’s Adaptive Infrastructure framework, which can be remotely managed 24 hours a day.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code