Qatar and Bahrain re-launch plans for construction of new causeway

Ambitious plans to build a causeway between Qatar and Bahrain have been re-activated following the visit of His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa to Doha.

  • E-Mail
By  Eudore Chand Published  January 13, 2004

Ambitious plans to build a causeway between Qatar and Bahrain have been re-activated following the visit of His Majesty King Hamad bin Isa Al Khalifa to Doha. The trip was the first time that the King had been to Qatar since Spring 2001, as relations between the two countries had grown cool. However, the trip was deemed a success and resulted in the re-activation of the countries’ joint cooperation committee, which will be in charge of the causeway project. According to an official statement, issued following talks between King Hamad and the Emir of Qatar, His Highness Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa Al Thani, the Joint Bahrain-Qatar High Committee, headed by the countries’ Crown Princes will meet in late February in Manama “to discuss a number of projects and ways to bolster cooperation.” The meeting will reinvigorate the causeway project, which would greatly ease the movement of people and goods between Bharain and Qatar. The design and technical work for the causeway has already been completed and the thre three year construction project is set to start next year. “The causeway would further bolster cooperation, open new markets and facilitate the movement of citizens and capital,” said Sheikh Mohammed bin Mubarak Al Khalifa, Bahrain’s Deputy Premier and Minister of Foreign Affairs. Sheik Mohammed later told Bahrain’s Al-Ayam newspaper that the two countries’ “interests are inter-related and the king’s visit removed doubts among some that relations [between the two countries] were lukewarm.”

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code