Acer promises affordability for LCD monitor

Acer's latest LCD monitor is the most accessible to the market yet. The company hopes its stylish design will give it a broad appeal.

  • E-Mail
By  Guy Mathew Published  September 16, 2001

The latest LCD flatscreen monitor to appear on the market was launched on September 16th by Acer Communications and Multimedia. The Taiwan-based company is new to the region and aims to make a splash with its FP581 LCD monitor. It has a number of features that should make it attractive to a wide range of customers.

It is available in a variety of sizes but the company expects the 15” version to account for 75% of sales, giving as it does, the same viewable area as a 17” CRT monitor. The 17” model should account for most of the remaining 25%.

The FP 581 is very compact and light (43x46x20cm W,H,D and 5.5kg) which frees up workspace and enables it to be wall-mounted or suspended from the ceiling; it also has a carrying handle for portability. The screen has excellent resolution, brightness and is very maneuverable so it can be viewed from almost any angle with the same clarity, Acer says.

Manish Bakshi, Middle East Business Development Manager, emphasised the reasonable price and the good margins it would give for resellers. “The selling price will be $450, which should eventually drop to $200. On a CRT monitor the margin is six or seven dollars, on the FP581 that will be more like 50 or 60 dollars. Also we promise to replace monitors if there is a problem within 7-10 days, even from Taiwan. We want to give a good brand image in the region.”

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code