New satellite services promised for Middle East

The Middle East is set to get a new range of satellite phone services after France Telecom signed an agreement with Europe Star

  • E-Mail
By  Alex Marklew Published  March 2, 2001

Europe Star and France Telecom have joined forces to provide fixed satellite services across the Middle East.

The new company, Stellat, will work on the installation of a new high-powered communications satellite, Stellat 5.

"Unique Opportunity"

“Stellat offers a unique opportunity for Europe Star to accelerate and extend coverage of our business, as well as to introduce C-band capacity into our portfolio,” said Alain Roger, president and CEO, Europe Star.

“Our partnership with France Telecom gives our business additional depth that will strengthen the service mix we offer.”

Under the terms of the deal, France Telecom will own 70 percent of Stellat, whereas the remaining 30 percent will go to Europe Star. As a result of the agreement, Stellat also becomes a member of the Loral Global Alliance, a consortium providing worldwide fixed satellite services.

Construction

Stellat has signed a deal with Alcatel Space for the construction of the new satellite based on the Spacebus 3000 B3 platform. The Stellat 5 satellite will be armed with 45 transponders and will provide a Ku-band Widebeam to extend Internet and video distribution to the Middle East, and will be supplemented by a steerable beam.

It will also feature C-band connections, which will be capable of linking the eastern seaboards of the United States with the Middle East and Africa.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code