Vista seen at last

But businesses yet to be convinced to upgrade

  • E-Mail
By  Published  December 8, 2006

Microsoft finally launched Windows Vista operating system (OS) worldwide to businesses at the end of last month, along with revamped versions of its Office productivity suite and Exchange e-mail server.

While Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer heralded the event as “the biggest launch in the company’s history”, security concerns continue to dog the OS.

Following a very public spat between security vendors and Microsoft over access to Vista’s central code earlier this year, McAfee is the only major security player to have products ready for the release of the OS, while Symantec, Trend Micro and CA are all still working on theirs.

Microsoft is also facing a tough sell in convincing business customers — especially large enterprises — to upgrade quickly, with analysts and polls suggesting it will be at least a year or two before most organisations actively begin deploying Vista.

“Most companies are saying that they are looking at Vista as something they’ll be doing in the second half of 2008, not something they are actively going to be trying to roll out in 2007,” Steve Kleynhans, Gartner vice president of client computing, told IT Weekly.

A recent IT Weekly online poll found that 45% of Middle East businesses that responded had no current plans to deploy Vista, while of the remaining 55%, half said they would wait until their next PC upgrade before implementing the OS.

Add a Comment

Your display name This field is mandatory

Your e-mail address This field is mandatory (Your e-mail address won't be published)

Security code